Building the brewery
At the centre of Neckstamper Brewing is a brand new 10 barrel brewery in the heart of East London - in the lovely Lea Valley - not too far from the Olympic Park, host to the Olympic Games in 2012.
So what does it take to build a new craft brewery in London? Here we document the process...
Creating the low plinth
Installing a wooden plinth on a slight slope to allow runoff to flow towards the drainage channel;
- 18mm marine ply
- Cover the ply with aquapanel to improve waterproofness
Tiling the plinth to provide a grippy working surface
Taking no chances with leaks by establishing a solid tiled base on the top of the plinth;
- 15mm acid resistant quarry tiles
- Flexible acid proof tile grout and adhesive
The most exciting day of the entire install - the brewery arrives;
- Skilful and extremely helpful forklift driver negotiates the tight entrance
- All vessels and equipment loaded safely into the brewery
Excellent few days installing the brewery;
- Hot liquor tank
- Mash tun
- Cold water tank
- 4 x fermenting vessels - 2 x 10 bbl and 2 x 6 bbl
- Conditioning tank
Test brew of the first batch - a hopped up tasty American Pale Ale!